Tuesday, March 15, 2005
DOH!
I just knew that when I was writing "I'm going to post daily" it wasn't going to happen, and whaddya know... here I am, back after a 3 day blogging break. :) You should see me with New Years resolutions!!

This past weekend was sooo fun. Shehrzad and I had our Bay Area Wedding Party on Saturday at Cliff House up in SF and had a blast. All of our friends showed up, even some I haven't seen in years! We're thinking about getting married again, just kidding!

On a sad note, on Saturday night, Emerald Maes passed away. She was this incredibly amazing 10 year old girl from Wisconsin who was suffering from a brain tumor. I somehow happened upon her Caringbridge website a few months back and have been religiously following it since then. Her strength was just incredible. Here she was, suffering from a BRAIN TUMOR, and she's still making jokes and laughing and having the time of her life... and only 10 years old! It's just so unbelievable. I didn't read about her passing until Sunday afternoon, but it was the oddest thing because Saturday night, I actually had a dream that I was reading her website and the post read that she had passed away. So strange. And even more of a coincidence, when I checked my email Sunday, I got one that told me that someone had donated to our wedding charity registry, part of which goes to the American Cancer Society. Strange how things happen huh?

The way Emerald lived her life reminded me a lot of my grandfather. He passed away last year at the end of July. One of my fondest memories of him will always be when Shehrzad, my parents and I were visiting him in the hospital at the beginning of June. It was the first time Shehrzad met him and I remember we were all sitting in his room talking. He was really weak and thin, wasn't eating, and just didn't look like MY grandfather. Then we got to talking about when we were planning on getting married, and we told him that we were thinking about sometime around March or April of the next year. I told him that my parents were pushing a bit more for December of that year. When he heard that, he could tell that I felt that was a bit too early. So in my grandfather's typical style, he laughed a little and busted out with "Well in that case, how about in October?" And all of a sudden, in my eyes, all the tubes and wires and machines beeping went away and MY grandfather was there. I'll always treasure that memory of him (along with a million others, of course!). Even when my grandfather was in the hospital -- and I'm sure he knew things with his health weren't quite right -- he lived with such dignity. No self pity, no obvious signs of depression, just incredible strength and dignity. I can only hope that when I am faced with trials like that in my life, I can learn to be even half the person both my grandfather and Emerald were.

Daily Dose of Lubna: My coworkers threw me a wonderful post-wedding party after our group meeting today! Carrot cake (yum!) and lots of gifts! They even got me a box of mac and cheese -- for those nights when I just don't feel like cooking. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG