Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Spring is HEEEEERE!
It's pretty incredible how much the weather affects my mood. I'm surprised I made it as long as I did in New Joisee. How in the world did I handle being cranky for half the year?? Anyways, the sun it out, it's warm (!) and it's only getting warmer over the next few days. I love it! I can feel myself finally getting out of this I-wanna-be-back-in-Hawaii-wearing-shorts funk that I've been in ever since we got back, woohoo!

In exciting news, Shehrzad bought me this amazingly beautiful painting yesterday. It's a painting of the outside of some mosque, with all this Arabic writing on the walls. I fell in love with it the second I saw it and just couldn't take my eyes off of it. So we brought our new friend home. :) Now I need to find the perfect frame for it and the perfect spot on the wall.

I find it so interesting to see how my relationship with certain people in my life changes over time. Take my mom for instance. When I was still living in Houston, my mom was totally My Mom. I always saw her as someone who was taking care of me, but at the same time, someone who was telling me what to do and what not to do. I always felt close to her, but never to the extent of being able to share intimate details of my life with her. You know, that typical mother-teenage daughter relationship. But as the years have gone by, and my mom has become more like my best friend, I feel like I can talk to her about absolutely anything. I love it. I love knowing that I can wake my mom up at 3am to tell her about my fun evening (I don't, but I know I could!), I love knowing that if I ever get a cold, she would immediately offer to hop on a plane and fly all the way from Houston to make me soup, and I especially love that she always gives me her 100% honest opinion, never sugar coated, never watered down. I depend on this from her. I know I can ask her anything about anything, and she'll tell it to me like it is.

On the other hand, there are people in my life that I thought would always be an integral part of it, but we've just drifted away over time. I know it's natural and happens to everyone, but it's so strange to see it actually happen. And there's not even any particular reason it happens, just a whole mess of reasons we are different people and just have a hard time relating to each other anymore. (No names, as I know this is just a website!) On one hand it's sad, but on the other hand, nice to see that I'm a defined enough person that not everyone fits. I've always been leery of people who get along with absolutely everyone. There HAVE to be traits and characteristics that you just can't stand. Some people might think that getting along with everyone is a good thing, shows you're not judgemental, are flexible and very tolerable. I personally think that someone who gets along with everyone can't possibly be a very opinionated person, passionate to the point of being willing to get in an argument over it. With me, I tend to find that if someone doesn't like me, they usually don't like me because I'm too straightforward. I usually tell it like it is (sound familiar? I guess it's a learned trait!) and try to be pretty honest with people when they're having an issue or problem in their lives. I find that this trait usually segregates the people I know into two groups: one, the group that comes to be for advice and help, resulting in me feeling especially close to them; two, the other group with whom I feel like I'm mearly being used as a body to increase the number of people they can say they know. And as a result, it's this second group that I tend to not like very much. Does that mean the situation works out for everyone involved?

Daily Dose of Lubna: Shehrzad and I are doing Museum Day on Sunday! We're going to hit up museums in Palo Alto, Los Altos, and San Jose and just spend the day together museuming. Yes I know, it's only Wednesday and I'm already thinking about the weekend... :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG