Mood: Happy!
Quotable Quotes: When everyone is against you, it means that you are absolutely wrong-- or absolutely right. --Albert Guinon
POD:

Rail track in India
On Monday night, Shehrzad and I were at Kepler's to hear Greg Mortenson speak. This dude is so amazing and inspiring! In 1993, he traveled to Pakistan to climb K2 in his sister's honor. During the descent, he got lost and emaciated and ended up in this remote Pakistani village. The people in the village nursed him back to health, and to thank them for their generosity, Mortenson promised to return one day and build them a school. He followed through on his promise and since then, has built over 55 schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. He's survived a kidnapping, gunfire, and has even had two fatwas issued against him. You'd never guess the experiences this guy has gone through just by looking at him. At Kepler's, he had a slideshow to go along with his telling of his life and he had some of the most honest, open pictures of people I've ever seen. One of the most important messages he tried to get through to the audience was the need to educate the world's women. And how by doing so, three things will be accomplished: infant mortality will be reduced, the exploding population rate will be reduced, and the basic quality of health will be improved. He strongly believes that education for boys *and* girls is important, but he believes educating girls is the most important because they are the ones that remain in the community and raise the children. He also believes that educating girls is a crucial step in fighting terrorism, since a mother's permission is required for any jihad-inclined man, and an educated woman is less likely to grant that permission. Mortenson also touched upon how little is being done to aid the Pakistani earthquake victims and how desperately they need the help. It was an emotional evening and very eye-opening.
My shins hurt! I think from all the hills at The Dish... but that was on Sunday, so why do they still hurt?!
My www.sparkpeople.com mission has been going really well (with the exception of last weekend!). I'm now on week 5 and I really feel like my brain is in the process of being reprogrammed. I eat moderate portions and never stuff myself silly. And I think a lot about getting a balanced diet each and every day. Before, I would always say 'oh, I don't need to eat fruit today... I had that banana on Monday'. Now, I always bring my lunch to work and when I'm putting it together in the morning, I make sure I bring a fruit, some veggies, and some meaty thing. Another big change I've been trying to make is spacing my food out over the day. I never was, but now I'm very diligent about eating breakfast and throughout the day, I try to eat before I'm hungry. Before, I would always wait until I was hungry and really pig out. And then I'd wait until I was hungry again and pig out again. Now I feel like I'm eating less overall and there are not many times during the day when I feel that 'I gotta eat now!' feeling. And finally, I do my best every day to have all my eating finished by 8pm. I read somewhere that if you're only going to make one change to your diet, it should be to not eat after 8pm. I have to make exceptions sometimes, but for the most part, during the week at least, I try really hard to follow this rule. Overall, I'm definitely feeling healthier and like I'm in control of my diet, so something is working. :)
Daily Dose of Lubna: Dinner with the fam tonight, yum!
Quotable Quotes: When everyone is against you, it means that you are absolutely wrong-- or absolutely right. --Albert Guinon
POD:

Rail track in India
On Monday night, Shehrzad and I were at Kepler's to hear Greg Mortenson speak. This dude is so amazing and inspiring! In 1993, he traveled to Pakistan to climb K2 in his sister's honor. During the descent, he got lost and emaciated and ended up in this remote Pakistani village. The people in the village nursed him back to health, and to thank them for their generosity, Mortenson promised to return one day and build them a school. He followed through on his promise and since then, has built over 55 schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. He's survived a kidnapping, gunfire, and has even had two fatwas issued against him. You'd never guess the experiences this guy has gone through just by looking at him. At Kepler's, he had a slideshow to go along with his telling of his life and he had some of the most honest, open pictures of people I've ever seen. One of the most important messages he tried to get through to the audience was the need to educate the world's women. And how by doing so, three things will be accomplished: infant mortality will be reduced, the exploding population rate will be reduced, and the basic quality of health will be improved. He strongly believes that education for boys *and* girls is important, but he believes educating girls is the most important because they are the ones that remain in the community and raise the children. He also believes that educating girls is a crucial step in fighting terrorism, since a mother's permission is required for any jihad-inclined man, and an educated woman is less likely to grant that permission. Mortenson also touched upon how little is being done to aid the Pakistani earthquake victims and how desperately they need the help. It was an emotional evening and very eye-opening.
My shins hurt! I think from all the hills at The Dish... but that was on Sunday, so why do they still hurt?!
My www.sparkpeople.com mission has been going really well (with the exception of last weekend!). I'm now on week 5 and I really feel like my brain is in the process of being reprogrammed. I eat moderate portions and never stuff myself silly. And I think a lot about getting a balanced diet each and every day. Before, I would always say 'oh, I don't need to eat fruit today... I had that banana on Monday'. Now, I always bring my lunch to work and when I'm putting it together in the morning, I make sure I bring a fruit, some veggies, and some meaty thing. Another big change I've been trying to make is spacing my food out over the day. I never was, but now I'm very diligent about eating breakfast and throughout the day, I try to eat before I'm hungry. Before, I would always wait until I was hungry and really pig out. And then I'd wait until I was hungry again and pig out again. Now I feel like I'm eating less overall and there are not many times during the day when I feel that 'I gotta eat now!' feeling. And finally, I do my best every day to have all my eating finished by 8pm. I read somewhere that if you're only going to make one change to your diet, it should be to not eat after 8pm. I have to make exceptions sometimes, but for the most part, during the week at least, I try really hard to follow this rule. Overall, I'm definitely feeling healthier and like I'm in control of my diet, so something is working. :)
Daily Dose of Lubna: Dinner with the fam tonight, yum!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home