Mood: Tired!
POD:

Aaaaaw, how cute
Another fabulouso weekend! Friday night was pretty chill as I had a ride first thing Saturday morning. Imagine a 33 mile ride being considered "easy" and "short"! Oh how times change. I remember feeling so overwhelmed by the idea of being expected to last even 15 miles, much less 33, much less 100! It's just amazing what some training can accomplish. Saturday's ride was indeed short and easy. We even had time to take a trip to Peet's in the middle of the ride and just hang out there relaxing for a bit. I hope the actual century is like that. :) After the ride, our team had a send-off party at Shoup Park in Los Altos. We got our paperwork, tickets to pre- and post-parties, and our official event jerseys! We learned all about the event, the course, what to expect before, during and after, and got a great pep talk from Coach Tom. I'm so ready to go and get it over with. :) We'll be driving up on Friday, the event is Saturday, and then we're coming back on Sunday. Shehrzad and I are planning to go to Yosemite on Sunday to do a bit of hiking -- if my legs can handle it!
Honestly, I am a bit nervous. But just so excited to feel that crossing-the-finish-line high. I love that feeling. I really never felt that once I finished the Honolulu Marathon and I feel like I missed out on that part of the experience. I think I was just more relieved that I finished, and never felt that oh-my-gosh-I-can't-believe-I-just-did-that emotion. Not that it was easy, don't get me wrong. It was by far THE hardest physical thing I've ever done. I still don't know why I didn't feel it. I don't think I was as emotionally tied to the cause as I am now, so maybe that's part of it. I certainly felt it each and every day I finished the Avon Breast Cancer 3-day Walk. Each day we walked 20 miles, and at the end of every day, at the finish line, there were hundreds of people waiting to cheer us in, and I remember getting really choked up experiencing that. Especially the last day. We finished in downtown Seattle, right next to the Needle, and there were thousands of people there clapping and cheering. It was so emotional. Everytime I think about finishing 100 miles on my bike, and how I'll feel finishing that last mile, I get very teary-eyed. In fact, after each and every one of our long training rides (starting from our 60 miler), my heart has felt so full, just amazed that I just did that. So I look forward to the feeling I hope to feel finishing my 100 miles. I might even shed a tear or two. :)
On a related note, one of the things our honoree captain is doing for us is organizing a way to dedicate a certain part of the 100 miles to each team member's personal honorees. I submitted my grandfather's name to be part of the tribute. Abdul Sattar Gandhi. As most people know, my grandfather passed away last year from prostate cancer -- the most devastating day of my life. He is the reason I am doing this ride. In his honor and to really express everything he taught me about dedication and strength. So on Saturday, our honoree captain had a poster made for each of our personal honorees, and each teammate was asked to sign all the posters. On the day of the century, our friends and family that come out to the event to support us will be holding up these posters along the route, and that part of the 100-miles will be ridden in honor of that person. I can't imagine how I'll feel seeing Nanaabba's name as I ride by. I'm choked up now just thinking about it. I hope I can see through my tears to stay on my bike.
Yesterday was as perfect of a day as you can ever imagine. I woke up early, made pancakes for my honey (on the electric griddle! See Shehrzad, I'm blogging about the electric griddle, like you requested!), and then we headed out to Sonoma to spend the day with our friends Matt and Priya. It was just a wonderful day, filled with food, food, and more food. And wonderful friends, of course. :) We met up at Oakville Grocery -- this place was pure heaven. Everything was so yummy! Matt is a big wine buff, so we went to visit some wineries and ended the day with an outdoor blues concert. It's days like yesterday that make me feel really lucky. For everything. I just loved it.
Daily Dose of Lubna: Finally looking into the details of our India trip!
POD:

Aaaaaw, how cute
Another fabulouso weekend! Friday night was pretty chill as I had a ride first thing Saturday morning. Imagine a 33 mile ride being considered "easy" and "short"! Oh how times change. I remember feeling so overwhelmed by the idea of being expected to last even 15 miles, much less 33, much less 100! It's just amazing what some training can accomplish. Saturday's ride was indeed short and easy. We even had time to take a trip to Peet's in the middle of the ride and just hang out there relaxing for a bit. I hope the actual century is like that. :) After the ride, our team had a send-off party at Shoup Park in Los Altos. We got our paperwork, tickets to pre- and post-parties, and our official event jerseys! We learned all about the event, the course, what to expect before, during and after, and got a great pep talk from Coach Tom. I'm so ready to go and get it over with. :) We'll be driving up on Friday, the event is Saturday, and then we're coming back on Sunday. Shehrzad and I are planning to go to Yosemite on Sunday to do a bit of hiking -- if my legs can handle it!
Honestly, I am a bit nervous. But just so excited to feel that crossing-the-finish-line high. I love that feeling. I really never felt that once I finished the Honolulu Marathon and I feel like I missed out on that part of the experience. I think I was just more relieved that I finished, and never felt that oh-my-gosh-I-can't-believe-I-just-did-that emotion. Not that it was easy, don't get me wrong. It was by far THE hardest physical thing I've ever done. I still don't know why I didn't feel it. I don't think I was as emotionally tied to the cause as I am now, so maybe that's part of it. I certainly felt it each and every day I finished the Avon Breast Cancer 3-day Walk. Each day we walked 20 miles, and at the end of every day, at the finish line, there were hundreds of people waiting to cheer us in, and I remember getting really choked up experiencing that. Especially the last day. We finished in downtown Seattle, right next to the Needle, and there were thousands of people there clapping and cheering. It was so emotional. Everytime I think about finishing 100 miles on my bike, and how I'll feel finishing that last mile, I get very teary-eyed. In fact, after each and every one of our long training rides (starting from our 60 miler), my heart has felt so full, just amazed that I just did that. So I look forward to the feeling I hope to feel finishing my 100 miles. I might even shed a tear or two. :)
On a related note, one of the things our honoree captain is doing for us is organizing a way to dedicate a certain part of the 100 miles to each team member's personal honorees. I submitted my grandfather's name to be part of the tribute. Abdul Sattar Gandhi. As most people know, my grandfather passed away last year from prostate cancer -- the most devastating day of my life. He is the reason I am doing this ride. In his honor and to really express everything he taught me about dedication and strength. So on Saturday, our honoree captain had a poster made for each of our personal honorees, and each teammate was asked to sign all the posters. On the day of the century, our friends and family that come out to the event to support us will be holding up these posters along the route, and that part of the 100-miles will be ridden in honor of that person. I can't imagine how I'll feel seeing Nanaabba's name as I ride by. I'm choked up now just thinking about it. I hope I can see through my tears to stay on my bike.
Yesterday was as perfect of a day as you can ever imagine. I woke up early, made pancakes for my honey (on the electric griddle! See Shehrzad, I'm blogging about the electric griddle, like you requested!), and then we headed out to Sonoma to spend the day with our friends Matt and Priya. It was just a wonderful day, filled with food, food, and more food. And wonderful friends, of course. :) We met up at Oakville Grocery -- this place was pure heaven. Everything was so yummy! Matt is a big wine buff, so we went to visit some wineries and ended the day with an outdoor blues concert. It's days like yesterday that make me feel really lucky. For everything. I just loved it.
Daily Dose of Lubna: Finally looking into the details of our India trip!
1 Comments:
Thank you Lubna,you just inspired my daily run...that's a whole lota biking!I am becoming really interested in starting races...just starting with a 5k I think but I like the idea of "training" for something.I do better when there is a goal in mind...I have to remember your blog,every time I visit I really enjoy it...if only I knew how to add you to my blogroll,I will pester someone to help me figure it out:)
Post a Comment
<< Home