Mood: Still nervous.
The Peanut Countdown: 181 days.
POD:

Satellite Image of Rita
Luckily for my family, Rita is headed slightly eastwardly for now, which means that it's likely that Houston won't take a direct hit. Major flooding, high winds, and lots and lots of rain are still expected, but I have high hopes that all will be ok. Some of our relatives headed out to Dallas on Thursday, only to sit in traffic for about 14 hours and then decide to turn back. They're staying in Spring which is a bit aways from the evacuation zone, but can you imagine?! It's unreal to me to see Hwys 290, I-10, I-45 all completely packed with cars, bumper to bumper, to the point that people are pushing their cars and are going just as fast as those actually driving! It's unreal to know that I drove those same exact roads all the time and will drive those same exact roads in less than 2 months. Just unreal. It seems like a world away, in a way, but when I see the pictures, and actually recognize the exit signs, buildings and other landmarks, I get very very nervous. My parents, grandmother, and some other relatives are all hunkered down at my parent's place and are safe.
On a different note, I'm totally frustrated with our India/Pakistan travel plans. I'm in contact with a travel agent who just doesn't seem to have his act together. I sent him my travel request a few weeks ago, finally heard back from him last week, but he only had some questions, no answers. Then he called this morning, left me a message, and I called back. After finally getting him on the phone, all I hear is him typing away at a calculator or computer or something. Isn't that supposed to be done *before* you call the customer?! After listening to him mumble to himself and typing away, he says he'll have to call me back in about 5 minutes. So now I'm just waiting, again. Ugh, if he finds us a good price, all will be forgiven, but it better be really good! I may have to try a different travel agent and do some comparison shopping.
This weekend is shaping up to be a good time for all. Tonight, Shehrzad and I are getting together with a friend for dinner. Tomorrow is a tea date, makeup shopping (yay!) and the symphony at night. And Sunday is my TNT cycling team wrap up party. I've gone through serious withdrawal symptoms with the team, so I'm really looking forward to hanging out with everyone again! I know it's only been about 2 weeks, but after spending day in and day out (or so it seems) with them, I really miss them. My bike, on the other hand, is a different story. I don't miss it too much, yet. I am planning on joining Velogirls and will be riding in a Golden Gate Bridge to Tiburon ride in a few weekends (next weekend??!), so I'm sure my withdrawal symptoms with my bike will kick in pretty soon. :)
Ok, my head feels like it's about to explode. I talked to the travel agent and he's getting us a pretty good deal, all India airfare, hotel, tour, all Pakistan airfare, all airfare from here to India and back. My head is so full of connection times, arrival/departure cities, travel dates, and airlines that I think I'm already jet lagged! Haha. Travelling is easy, it's the planning that will kill you.
Daily Dose of Lubna: I hope hope hope hope hope that all of our travel plans will be finalized by the end of the day today. Keep your fingers crossed!!
The Peanut Countdown: 181 days.
POD:

Satellite Image of Rita
Luckily for my family, Rita is headed slightly eastwardly for now, which means that it's likely that Houston won't take a direct hit. Major flooding, high winds, and lots and lots of rain are still expected, but I have high hopes that all will be ok. Some of our relatives headed out to Dallas on Thursday, only to sit in traffic for about 14 hours and then decide to turn back. They're staying in Spring which is a bit aways from the evacuation zone, but can you imagine?! It's unreal to me to see Hwys 290, I-10, I-45 all completely packed with cars, bumper to bumper, to the point that people are pushing their cars and are going just as fast as those actually driving! It's unreal to know that I drove those same exact roads all the time and will drive those same exact roads in less than 2 months. Just unreal. It seems like a world away, in a way, but when I see the pictures, and actually recognize the exit signs, buildings and other landmarks, I get very very nervous. My parents, grandmother, and some other relatives are all hunkered down at my parent's place and are safe.
On a different note, I'm totally frustrated with our India/Pakistan travel plans. I'm in contact with a travel agent who just doesn't seem to have his act together. I sent him my travel request a few weeks ago, finally heard back from him last week, but he only had some questions, no answers. Then he called this morning, left me a message, and I called back. After finally getting him on the phone, all I hear is him typing away at a calculator or computer or something. Isn't that supposed to be done *before* you call the customer?! After listening to him mumble to himself and typing away, he says he'll have to call me back in about 5 minutes. So now I'm just waiting, again. Ugh, if he finds us a good price, all will be forgiven, but it better be really good! I may have to try a different travel agent and do some comparison shopping.
This weekend is shaping up to be a good time for all. Tonight, Shehrzad and I are getting together with a friend for dinner. Tomorrow is a tea date, makeup shopping (yay!) and the symphony at night. And Sunday is my TNT cycling team wrap up party. I've gone through serious withdrawal symptoms with the team, so I'm really looking forward to hanging out with everyone again! I know it's only been about 2 weeks, but after spending day in and day out (or so it seems) with them, I really miss them. My bike, on the other hand, is a different story. I don't miss it too much, yet. I am planning on joining Velogirls and will be riding in a Golden Gate Bridge to Tiburon ride in a few weekends (next weekend??!), so I'm sure my withdrawal symptoms with my bike will kick in pretty soon. :)
Ok, my head feels like it's about to explode. I talked to the travel agent and he's getting us a pretty good deal, all India airfare, hotel, tour, all Pakistan airfare, all airfare from here to India and back. My head is so full of connection times, arrival/departure cities, travel dates, and airlines that I think I'm already jet lagged! Haha. Travelling is easy, it's the planning that will kill you.
Daily Dose of Lubna: I hope hope hope hope hope that all of our travel plans will be finalized by the end of the day today. Keep your fingers crossed!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home