Mood: Happy!
The Peanut Countdown: 189 days.
POD:

FINISHING THE CENTURY!!!!!!!
Yesterday's post was a bit heavy, so I'm here to have some fun today! :) Check out that picture of me finishing the ride on Saturday. See the smile? It's so big partly because I could *finally* see the finish line and partly because it was frozen on at that point. It was a coooooooold day, brrrrrr! Good thing I had my sunglasses on or else you'd be able to see what a blubbering, crying mess I was too. :)
We've got a ton of fun things coming up that I'm really looking forward to. A bunch of cool volunteer projects, Davis vs. Stanturd on Saturday, our cycling team wrap-up party next weekend, the symphony, a fun ride from Golden Gate to Tiburon, Light the Night walk with my PAMF team (we have over 40 people signed up!!), and of course Eid in Houston in November. That's a bit far off to be getting excited about now, but it's on my calendar. :) I always get antsy if there's nothing on my calendar to look forward to. What does that say about me?
Yesterday (yes, in one day), I read this really fascinating book called With Love, Bev. We have this section in our kitchen at work for books that people want to bring in and trade with others. This is one of the books I picked up. It's an autobiography by Beverly Differding and her story of being in a head on collision with a drunk driver, becoming a parapalegic and how she chooses to live and go on. At first, I couldn't stand the way the book was written, flow-wise. The sentences are short, not structured all that well, and very stream-of-consciousness-like. But after about 100 pages, I really appreciated the fact that she was writing like she was thinking onto paper. I felt like a guest in her mind. What she went through was just incredible and she described it so honestly that I felt pain in my body while I read it. People don't realize the strength they have until they are forced to use it to survive. And one of the especially moving things about the book is that she lives right in Los Gatos. She talks about driving down 101, being admitted to Stanford Hospital, and so many other details that hit really close to home, literally.
If I were to write a book, what would/could I write about? I've never really thought about it. An autobiography? Nah, I'm still in the middle of living it. Maybe I could write a Choose Your Own Adventure, haha. I loved reading those when I was a kid. I once wrote a short story in elementary school that won an award, but I barely remember what it was about. I think it was about two boys and one of them stole something. I vaguely remember it being based on me stealing some gum from a store and feeling really bad about it. So I was really scared and paranoid when I won the award because I worried that everyone knew it was based on a true story! Writing has just never been my thing, and I've felt this for as long as I can remember. But for some reason, I've always kept a journal of some kind and have a really weird paper fetish.
Planning for our India trip is in full swing! I've called a travel agent to see what sort of rates he can hook us up with. So far our plan is: Mumbai, Udaipur, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Lahore, Islamabad. The travel agent I talked to was shocked that we had been granted both India and Pakistan visas. My dad has the connections! We'll be there during prime travel time, so it won't be cheap, but so worth it. I should have started shopping for tickets earlier, but I just didn't want to jump the gun in case our visas didn't come through. I can't wait to do some serious shopping damage. :)
And I'm dancing at the mehndi! Many many moons ago, some friends and I did a candle dance at a friend's wedding in Houston. We turned off the lights, each held a candle in each hand, and did a choreographed dance to instrumental music in the dark. It sounds odd, but the effect was so cool. Plus, any mistake could easily be blamed on the person next to me. :) So some of Priya's friends and I are all getting together and doing this candle dance in India. I haven't danced at someone's mehndi in a really long time (for very good reason!), but it should be a blast.
I'm looking forward to giving my fondue pots a good workout this weekend. We got an electric one as a wedding present and just recently brought it back from Houston and we also got a fondue cookbook. I already had 2 (one regular and one specifically for chocolate), so once I dig them out of storage, we'll be ready to eat! I'm going to make one gouda cheese, one meat, and one chocolate. Yummers.
Daily Dose of Lubna: Getting more Six Feet Under DVDs from Netflix today! I'm officially addicted.
The Peanut Countdown: 189 days.
POD:

FINISHING THE CENTURY!!!!!!!
Yesterday's post was a bit heavy, so I'm here to have some fun today! :) Check out that picture of me finishing the ride on Saturday. See the smile? It's so big partly because I could *finally* see the finish line and partly because it was frozen on at that point. It was a coooooooold day, brrrrrr! Good thing I had my sunglasses on or else you'd be able to see what a blubbering, crying mess I was too. :)
We've got a ton of fun things coming up that I'm really looking forward to. A bunch of cool volunteer projects, Davis vs. Stanturd on Saturday, our cycling team wrap-up party next weekend, the symphony, a fun ride from Golden Gate to Tiburon, Light the Night walk with my PAMF team (we have over 40 people signed up!!), and of course Eid in Houston in November. That's a bit far off to be getting excited about now, but it's on my calendar. :) I always get antsy if there's nothing on my calendar to look forward to. What does that say about me?
Yesterday (yes, in one day), I read this really fascinating book called With Love, Bev. We have this section in our kitchen at work for books that people want to bring in and trade with others. This is one of the books I picked up. It's an autobiography by Beverly Differding and her story of being in a head on collision with a drunk driver, becoming a parapalegic and how she chooses to live and go on. At first, I couldn't stand the way the book was written, flow-wise. The sentences are short, not structured all that well, and very stream-of-consciousness-like. But after about 100 pages, I really appreciated the fact that she was writing like she was thinking onto paper. I felt like a guest in her mind. What she went through was just incredible and she described it so honestly that I felt pain in my body while I read it. People don't realize the strength they have until they are forced to use it to survive. And one of the especially moving things about the book is that she lives right in Los Gatos. She talks about driving down 101, being admitted to Stanford Hospital, and so many other details that hit really close to home, literally.
If I were to write a book, what would/could I write about? I've never really thought about it. An autobiography? Nah, I'm still in the middle of living it. Maybe I could write a Choose Your Own Adventure, haha. I loved reading those when I was a kid. I once wrote a short story in elementary school that won an award, but I barely remember what it was about. I think it was about two boys and one of them stole something. I vaguely remember it being based on me stealing some gum from a store and feeling really bad about it. So I was really scared and paranoid when I won the award because I worried that everyone knew it was based on a true story! Writing has just never been my thing, and I've felt this for as long as I can remember. But for some reason, I've always kept a journal of some kind and have a really weird paper fetish.
Planning for our India trip is in full swing! I've called a travel agent to see what sort of rates he can hook us up with. So far our plan is: Mumbai, Udaipur, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Lahore, Islamabad. The travel agent I talked to was shocked that we had been granted both India and Pakistan visas. My dad has the connections! We'll be there during prime travel time, so it won't be cheap, but so worth it. I should have started shopping for tickets earlier, but I just didn't want to jump the gun in case our visas didn't come through. I can't wait to do some serious shopping damage. :)
And I'm dancing at the mehndi! Many many moons ago, some friends and I did a candle dance at a friend's wedding in Houston. We turned off the lights, each held a candle in each hand, and did a choreographed dance to instrumental music in the dark. It sounds odd, but the effect was so cool. Plus, any mistake could easily be blamed on the person next to me. :) So some of Priya's friends and I are all getting together and doing this candle dance in India. I haven't danced at someone's mehndi in a really long time (for very good reason!), but it should be a blast.
I'm looking forward to giving my fondue pots a good workout this weekend. We got an electric one as a wedding present and just recently brought it back from Houston and we also got a fondue cookbook. I already had 2 (one regular and one specifically for chocolate), so once I dig them out of storage, we'll be ready to eat! I'm going to make one gouda cheese, one meat, and one chocolate. Yummers.
Daily Dose of Lubna: Getting more Six Feet Under DVDs from Netflix today! I'm officially addicted.
1 Comments:
It's so amazing that you finished that ride. I was shivering reading your description of that wind! I couldn't believe it. That is a job well done!
Your trip planning sounds like fun and I'm positively drooling at the thought of fondue. Time to get home for dinner!
Post a Comment
<< Home