Mood: Tired.
POD:

Melting
Yesterday afternoon I went to what was by far THE most amazing celebration I've ever been to. In honor of Ben, his family, friends, and entire community joined forces and put on the most incredible and inspiring memorial service and celebration I could ever imagine. There were hundreds of people, tons of little kids, and just so many memories, laughs, tears, smiles, and feelings. Both of Ben's parents, John and Christine, got up and spoke. They were truly inspiring with their raw love for their boy. A good part of my cycling team was there too and we all sat together during the service. We had seats about 4 rows back, behind Ben's parents, and I found myself just watching them the entire time. I couldn't take my eyes off of them. I watched as two people listened to the words their friends had for their son, but I mostly watched as two people remembered and celebrated what they brought into this world. The love between the two of them was so obvious, and the amazing thing is that I've never even talked to them. I am just in awe of them and their strength.
Sometimes I get really scared that I'm getting too close to people will these life-threatening illnesses. I get scared that I don't have what it takes to cope if they were to ever be taken away from me. Is that selfish? Totally. How does someone "have what it takes"? I think those coping skills aren't something you either have or don't have. I think they're something you learn, the hard way, whether you like it or not.
I think my mom has been the most important role model in my life, and it's funny because she probably doesn't even realize it. I've watched her so closely over the years, taking care of my grandparents, especially my grandfather as he went through his journey with cancer. She dropped everything at a moment's notice and went to be with him 2000 miles away whenever he needed. She stayed in the hospital with him for days on end, weeks on end, asking for nothing other than for him to feel better. I think the only thing she asked for was a hairbrush for herself. :) She's who I think of when I think of someone being caring, giving, and nurturing. She's who I want to become.
My parents are coming into town tomorrow! Saturday is a huge birthday party for both of my nephews and I can't wait! Those two kiddos are the most scrumptious things ever, even when they're driving everyone a little crazy. :)
I had to kill a huge spider today, gross!! It was traumatic enough that I felt the need to blog about it. Shehrzad had already left for work, so I had to fend for myself. I briefly considered calling him and asking him to turn around, but after hearing his laughter and his 'Um, no' in my head, I grabbed a tissue and did the deed. I love this warm weather, but the influx of bugs is just too much to handle. Honestly, why do I enjoy camping??!
Work is just too too quiet today. A bunch of people are at meetings, a bunch of others are working at home, and then there's little ole' me. I should have worked from home today... Surprisingly, I've gotten a decent amount of work done which is unprecedented on days like today.
Daily Dose of Lubna: Volunteering at RAFT tonight, with dinner afterwards.
POD:

Melting
Yesterday afternoon I went to what was by far THE most amazing celebration I've ever been to. In honor of Ben, his family, friends, and entire community joined forces and put on the most incredible and inspiring memorial service and celebration I could ever imagine. There were hundreds of people, tons of little kids, and just so many memories, laughs, tears, smiles, and feelings. Both of Ben's parents, John and Christine, got up and spoke. They were truly inspiring with their raw love for their boy. A good part of my cycling team was there too and we all sat together during the service. We had seats about 4 rows back, behind Ben's parents, and I found myself just watching them the entire time. I couldn't take my eyes off of them. I watched as two people listened to the words their friends had for their son, but I mostly watched as two people remembered and celebrated what they brought into this world. The love between the two of them was so obvious, and the amazing thing is that I've never even talked to them. I am just in awe of them and their strength.
Sometimes I get really scared that I'm getting too close to people will these life-threatening illnesses. I get scared that I don't have what it takes to cope if they were to ever be taken away from me. Is that selfish? Totally. How does someone "have what it takes"? I think those coping skills aren't something you either have or don't have. I think they're something you learn, the hard way, whether you like it or not.
I think my mom has been the most important role model in my life, and it's funny because she probably doesn't even realize it. I've watched her so closely over the years, taking care of my grandparents, especially my grandfather as he went through his journey with cancer. She dropped everything at a moment's notice and went to be with him 2000 miles away whenever he needed. She stayed in the hospital with him for days on end, weeks on end, asking for nothing other than for him to feel better. I think the only thing she asked for was a hairbrush for herself. :) She's who I think of when I think of someone being caring, giving, and nurturing. She's who I want to become.
My parents are coming into town tomorrow! Saturday is a huge birthday party for both of my nephews and I can't wait! Those two kiddos are the most scrumptious things ever, even when they're driving everyone a little crazy. :)
I had to kill a huge spider today, gross!! It was traumatic enough that I felt the need to blog about it. Shehrzad had already left for work, so I had to fend for myself. I briefly considered calling him and asking him to turn around, but after hearing his laughter and his 'Um, no' in my head, I grabbed a tissue and did the deed. I love this warm weather, but the influx of bugs is just too much to handle. Honestly, why do I enjoy camping??!
Work is just too too quiet today. A bunch of people are at meetings, a bunch of others are working at home, and then there's little ole' me. I should have worked from home today... Surprisingly, I've gotten a decent amount of work done which is unprecedented on days like today.
Daily Dose of Lubna: Volunteering at RAFT tonight, with dinner afterwards.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home