Friday, December 09, 2005
Perfection
I just got back from Tina's memorial service. Wow. There are so many thoughts and feelings running through my head and heart that it's just too much for me to write about it all, but I had two overwhelming feelings throughout the service. First, having Tina's dad get up and speak really showed the injustice in what happened. A parent, speaking at their child's funeral... it shouldn't happen. It's not natural. It's so so wrong. Second, I was just in awe of how perfectly Tina lived and died. It seems like everything she did since the day she was born was part of this most perfect orchestra. Each piece had its place, was played perfectly, and ended perfectly. From Day 1 of her diagnosis, it seems as though she had everything planned. Every encounter, every word spoken, every gesture made. She did things on her own terms and I'm just amazed at how well everything fit together. She even planned today. Down to the last detail. Who would speak, how everything was, the mood created. So perfect. Sometimes I hear people say that funerals and memorial services are for the living. To give the living a chance to say goodbye, to mourn together. The sense I got today was that we all gathered to give Tina one last gift. The gift of a service so beautiful, so memorable, so touching. It was perfect. Exactly like Tina wanted.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG