Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Day 13: India (Ahmedabad)
Mood: Feeling good.

The Peanut Countdown: 23 days.

POD:

In Ahmedabad

Day 13: India - Ahmedabad

This was a pretty relaxed day in Ahmedabad, hanging out with relatives at the Sports Club, running some errands with my dad and Bupendra Uncle, and a bit of sightseeing. My dad and I needed to go to the Air India ticket office to reconfirm our flights back to the US, so Bupendra Uncle picked us up to do that. Then we made a pit stop at Bupendra Uncle's house to see where he lived and got a tour of his architecture business. Bupendra Uncle has a huge business in Ahmedabad designing and constructing office buildings and housing complexes, so we got the grand tour of his office and drove by a few of his current projects. We even stopped at the condo unit being constructed for their friend Rashmi Uncle and it was aaaamazing. They even have a space devoted to a hanging swing, inside!! It was really cool seeing the construction in that stage. He's probably in the process of moving in now. Then back to the sports club to hang out with Mazhar, Mahenoor and some other relatives that traveled from Surat to see us. Then had lunch at McDonalds!!! Now, all of my dad's friends we had been hanging out with up to this point are all vegetarian. So naturally all the food we were eating was meatless. Needless to say, we were hurting for meat. Where's the beef?! The McChicken sandwich I had was sooooo yum. And my mom couldn't get enough of the soft serve. :) We got a chance to do a bit of shopping in Ahmedabad too. Some scarves, decoration pieces, jewelry, purses, cushion covers (seriously, you can't ever have too many cushion covers!) and a few other random things. Ok, maybe more than "a bit" of shopping. :) By the time we got back to the club, I was feeling pretty bad. I felt like I was on the verge of a serious cold, so I napped and still felt bad, so Shehrzad and I skipped dinner at the Chinese restaurant with all the relatives and my dad's friends. But they were all so sweet… they actually sent the driver back with some food while they were still eating! So nice. We ate, watched The Ring (yes, again) and went to bed pretty early.

In other non-Indian news, I've been working really hard to change my eating habits. Previously, I never really paid much attention to calories or if I was getting the right amount of fruits and vegetables into my diet. And water… well that's another story altogether. So to go along with our new fitness routine to work our way up to being able to run a half marathon, Sangeeta and I decided to start tracking our diets on www.sparkpeople.com. And I'm addicted. I won't eat a single bite of anything without it being entered into the system. Even a mint, a piece of gum, or my vitamins. Some days are good, others are not. But I can really tell a difference. A bit in the way my clothes fit, but mostly mentally. I find myself trying really hard to make better eating decisions. Like for lunch, I didn't bring anything with me today, so I popped on over to Safeway to find something. Now normally, I would have gotten a #2 half roast beef/half turkey, a box of Wheat Thins to munch on throughout the day, and maybe some pasta from the deli or a little container of fruit, and a soda. Not completely unhealthy, but I'm scared to find out how much fat that sandwich has. And despite the "Thin" in Wheat Thins, they aren't as healthy as I thought. And I tend to have relatively large dinners since I usually work out after work, so I feel like I should go a bit lighter on lunch. So instead, I got some fat free yogurt, a banana, cottage cheese, and some fat free saltines. Oh, and some dishwasher rinse aid refills, but not as part of my lunch. :) And surprisingly, it's an over-400 calorie meal. But all healthy. And definitely light on the fat. A bit heavy on the carbs, but I need that for the gym tonight. And I feel good! I need to really work on the water intake though. On an average day, I get about 4-5 glasses of water total. I'm supposed to get at least 8. I just wish water tasted like a Peet's Chai Freddo. Or Coke. Or something sweet and sugary without all the sweet and sugaryness. I'm experimenting with Crystal Light powders, but I'm also lazy and don't ever feel like "making" it. Yup, that's how lazy I am. Can't be bothered to even pour some powder into some water. Sad. :)

I can't believe Peanut is almost here! I'm so ready to spoil another kid rotten. Hey, it clearly stated in the Aunt Contract! :)

Daily Dose of Lubna: Hitting the gym tonight with Sang.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG