Wednesday, February 08, 2006
Day 9: India (Jaipur)
Mood: Tired.

The Peanut Countdown: 43 days.

POD:

Priya in India (One of my favorite pics)

Day 9: India - Jaipur

Finally, I was feeling better! Poor Shehrzad was STILL feeling under the weather, so my parents and I left him to rest in the hotel while we spent one of our last days on the tour shopping in the city known for its amazing handicrafts, jewelry, and textiles. We looked through our guidebook for suggestions on where to go shopping, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. So we hopped in a taxi and asked the taxi driver for a suggestion. He took us to the most amazing place called Cotton Industries. At first I thought we were only going to find clothes and fabric there, but this was shopping heaven! There are a handful of places in India that are labeled "government approved". That basically means nothing other than the prices are marked as final and there is no bargaining allowed. I'm all for bypassing the bargaining! We spent close to 4 hours shopping in this one complex. It was like a department store, with one area designated for clothes, another for carpets, another for jewelry, bed linens, handicrafts, shawls, etc etc. Pretty much anything you'd want to buy was there. And the selection… wow! I won't list everything we bought because I'd be here for days, but let's just say I've never had so much fun shopping!! And the prices were super reasonable too… and all without the bargaining, awesome.

After we had shopped until we practically dropped, we headed back to the hotel to find Shehrzad up and about. Yay! After seeing him feel so horrible for so many days, it was wonderful seeing him smile and feeling a little better. While we were out shopping, he had ventured outside the hotel and found a mall! By this time, we were all aching for some non-Indian food and anything resembling home, so Shehrzad and I walked back over and had the best lunch ever. I had hot-and-sour soup (I'll always remember how great it tasted) and Chinese noodles, and Shehrzad had pizza and ice cream! Yup, can't get any more non-Indian that that. :) We went back to the hotel, hung out for a while checking out all our new purchases, and packed up our stuff to leave for Delhi the next morning. We told my parents about this mall area and the food and they practically started drooling. So the 4 of us got a taxi and went back over and had dinner at the same place. Yum! Back to the hotel and to bed… off to Delhi tomorrow!

In house news, we're now up to our necks in cardboard. :) Moving day is quickly approaching and we're both getting soooo excited to move into our new home. Exciting exciting!

Daily Dose of Lubna: I'm so frustrated with work today... nothing seems to be going right!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG