Wednesday, March 01, 2006
Day 14: India (Ahmedabad)
Mood: Very productive!

The Peanut Countdown: 22 days.

POD:

Jaali at Ahmedabad masjid

Day 14: India - Ahmedabad

Our last full day in Ahmedabad. :( Unlike the rest of our trip where we were sick and generally uncomfortable, the past few days in Ahmedabad flew by and I wasn't quite ready for it to be over. I especially wasn't ready to say goodbye to my parents that night (their flight back home was at about 3am the next morning) and I felt like I just wanted to spend some more time in my dad's hometown soaking it all in.

We spent a good part of the day saying goodbye to all the relatives that came to see us and it was so so hard. Anwar Uncle and Farzana Aunty were so sad because they truly felt like this was the last time they were ever going to meet us. I hope they're wrong and would really love to go back for Mahenoor's wedding. All of my dad's friends came one by one to say goodbye and as always, my dad's tears came easily. I get choked up even thinking about it all now. My parents spent time packing all of their stuff and until you have all of your things out on the beds, you never realize how much stuff you bought/got as gifts/brought in the first place. And we all spent the day hoping that Mukhtar Uncle (my dad's brother) would be able to get a flight to Ahmedabad to see us before we left. Up until the last minute when my parents were boarding their flight the next morning, we were all still hoping. It's the one really big regret we all felt at the end of our trip. We really wanted to see him, but it just didn't work out. Next time. We did some last minute shopping, ate Dominos (yum!), and said goodbye to my parents around midnight when they left for the airport.

All the sightseeing during the past 2 weeks were amazing, but the thing I am especially grateful for is that I got to experience it all with my hubby and my parents. It had always been my dream, for the past 10 years or so at least, to travel to India with my parents. I really got to know my parents all over again. How caring and nurturing my mom is, how young-at-heart and sensitive my dad is, and just how proud I am to have them in my life. How much I am like my mom with not being able to go an entire hour without asking the sickwalas 'Are you feeling ok?' and how much I'm like my dad with planning every tiny detail, down to the exact time he would start packing his bags, haha! The trip would not have been the same without them and I'm so happy I started early with laying on the pressure for them to come with us. :) I love you both Amma and Abbu and thanks for all the wonderful memories and for taking such great care of Shehrzad and me!!!

Daily Dose of Lubna: I've gotten a crapload done at work today! That's why this blog entry is both late and short. :)


1 Comments:

Blogger wrki said...

this picture is absolutely gorgeous, lubna.

i'm SO getting the traveling bug from your post.

i need to have an erika-travels-the-world fundraiser!

be well. and thank you for sharing your world, mamita!

tschuss!

~ Erika

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG