Thursday, August 11, 2005
Heavy heart
Mood: Sad.

POD:

Bird breath

I have a very heavy heart today. I found out yesterday that one of our TNT cycling team's amazing honorees has been sent home from New York because the doctors "believe that it is time to take Ben home". Translation: there is nothing more they can do for him. Ben is an adorable 7-year old kid who lives in Sunnyvale diagnosed with Burkitt's lymphoma at the very beginning of this year. He had a bone marrow transplant, but unfortunately relapsed a second time. He was getting his treatment at Lucille Packard Children's @ Stanford, but about a month ago, the doctors there pretty much said they can't do anything more for him. Luckily, after a flurry of research, there was a doctor at Sloan in NY that said he had an option for Ben. So the family flew there for treatment, and we all had really high hopes. And now this. It's just so unfortunate. Back in June, before NY, Make a Wish came through for Ben and threw him this absolutely amazing block party for the entire neighborhood. Shehrzad and I, along with a bunch of other cycling team members, went out to volunteer for the day and the sheer size of the party really took our breath away. It was just amazing. Soooo many people came out, tons and tons of food, games, activities, so many happy kids, and of course Ben. He was on chemo at the time, so he wasn't feeling too hot, but he was there and there were a few Ben smiles. :) I know I'm babbling, but I just feel so sad that something like this is happening to such a wonderful kid and family. I have a button that I got from Ben's Bash pinned on my Bento box on my bike. On every ride, whenever I get to a hill I don't think I can climb, I look down at Ben's face on that button, and I somehow make it up that hill. He has really helped me so much during my training. And I feel so sad that there's nothing I can do to help him fight for his life. It's such a helpless feeling. I can't begin to imagine what his family is going through. He's really such an incredible, inspiring person. I don't really believe in miracles per se, but I do believe in luck. I really really hope some good luck comes to Ben very soon.

Daily Dose of Lubna: Just sad today...


1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. There is nothing sadder or more wrong than a kid fighting to live. It is really making me cry. How awful. I'll be thinking of Ben and his family at this awful time.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG